Betty's Bakery and Uncle Bill's Grill: North Wilkesboro's version of sweet and savory.



by Jason Bowen

If you've driven Main St in North Wilkesboro, you're probably already aware that we have a new business in town.  That business being Betty's Bakery and Uncle Bill's Grill and Deli.  Located at the Big Tom's intersection, BB and UBGD has taken up shop directly beside Copper Barrell Distillery in what is now becoming a very attractive and inviting part of main street in North Wilkesboro.  If you've not had a chance to visit them yet, perhaps this article will get you jumpin.  

As a consumer, I love new establishments.  Seeing a new local business pop up and the community support that local business brings a feeling of comfort to my soul.  Because we all want that business to thrive and succeed because when they succeed, our local economy gets stronger.  Our community takes on just a slightly new and interesting flavor.  And with BB and UBGD, flavor is their strong suite.

Lets get to the important part.  What does BB and UBGD serve?  Well, I'm going to be straight forward and honest about it.  I've not had a cake or any type of dessert yet from Betty's Bakery.  But every single person I hear speak of Betty's desserts has nothing but praise.  Not just praise but high praise.  Apparently she has been a staple across the bridge over in Wilkesboro and relocated to the north side.  Click here or the link above to go to their facebook page for full listings of desserts and entrees.  

On the three visits I've made since they've soft opened, the bakery has been slammed.  Multiple people getting samples and asking about the variety of desserts on display.  I've seen others come in and pick up large office orders and walk out of the eatery like they're onto a secret that no one else knows about.  Seriously, it's on their faces.  They can't wait to dig in.  With that being said, listen to everyone else that's experienced Betty's Bakery.  I haven't yet but will.  My sweet tooth only shows up sparingly and unexpectedly.  My day will come.  


Now on to Uncle Bill.  I've met Uncle Bill twice and each time he's blown me away with an amazing entrepreneurial and friendly energy.  If he doesn't find a way to greet you as you walk through the door, he makes sure to find you during your meal to check up on how you're doing and get your opinion about the food he's offering.  Because with Bill, the customer's happiness and the quality of the food are of equal importance.  


On my first visit, it was a morning visit.  I was kinda shocked that they were open.  During the week they open at 6am.  Can you say coffee spot!  I strolled in around 8:30am and had a southern ham biscuit.  The ham was perfect; not too salty, not too sweet.  On my second visit I believe I had the rueben and it was spot on.  And today, my third visit I had the beef brisket sandwich with potato salad.  And Bill has this sauce that he's personally made that goes with that brisket and it's just amazing.  I kept dipping the potato salad into the sauce not because the potato salad wasn't great, but because the sauce was like another entry.  Even now, I can taste a slight hint of smoke on my tongue from the brisket.  I ate it slow so as to enjoy every single bite.  


Needless to say, I really enjoy BB and UBGD.  The owners (still need to meet Betty), the food and the environment a really nice treat for North Wilkesboro.  When walking into the eatery, you're surrounded by a classy rustic feel with the trimmings of flat screen televisions all around.  The staff is friendly and extremely busy but they're always there taking care of you.  They've earned me as a customer and I'll be happy to spend my money at Betty's Bakery and Uncle Bills Grill and Deli. 




Comments