Fall is perfect for Call's Family Distiller




by:  Leah Hensley

Today, Saturday, October 10th, just so happens to be one those days of fall. (Editor note:  I was lazy 
and didn't get this article up until the 15th!)  There is just enough radiation from the sun illuminating through the solid cloud cover to polarize the golds, oranges and reds against the remaining olive and pine greens of the hills; with gray sky backdrop that's washed with a slight cool haze. It is straight from Natures' Color wheel!.  Definitely natures' colors. I'm sure that this isn't the correct color theory statement but still a beautiful gray day. 

This evening there was a quick six mile trek to Call's Family Distillers. After all it's their Grand Opening Celebration.  I was hoping for a warmer and drier evening in order to sit in a camp chair and listen to local musicians. All is well and some certainly did relax outside. The music and real excitement was inside. You entered the building under their beautiful finger nail moon with double lightening bolts trademark signage.



Courtesy of Calls Family Distiller Facebook page


It was slightly cramped since the music was moved indoors and provided by RG Absher w/Extra Measure and the Local Boys. As far as music goes the only thing missing was RG in his kilt---there are just too few opportunities for kilts in the foothills, even though the area is teaming with Scots.

What an honored was it to be greeted by Mr. Brian Call, the patriarch of this venture. He beamed as he described how he made the 1000-gallon, white pine mash barrels and indeed they were beautiful. He is also mentioned his family connection to the Jack Daniels sour mash craftsmen through Dan Call. When questioned about the sourcing of corn, he confirmed, the quality of the corn was much better in the 50's. Controlling the pesticides and GMO's at this point in time is an impossibility. Those that know me well would not be surprised with this question.  After all, one must do what one can to protect one's liver-right?  Tee Hee!

The operation itself was large enough to be impressive and small enough to be cozy. In the back where the giant mash barrels resided, I was a hit breath of yeast and sour mash.  On tip toes I looked over the top of the 1000 gallon barrel to view a natures' chemistry lesson.  Bubbles were rising to the top and the smell of the yeast and sour mash kicked up a food craving of cheeses and dried meats--must be a endorphin, happy place thing.  

Courtesy of Call's Family Distiller Facebook page

The building was crowded yet moved along nicely through to the tasting room. I watched folks from a distance throw the whole sample into their mouths with their head rocking straight back at the same time as the toss.  Is that how you do it?  I admit, I don't have a clue on how to "moonshine taste". It was now my turn and I began with the plain sour mash.  I just sipped a small amount to let it run over my teeth and gums; then I just dumped the rest in my mouth.  The sample was smooth enough with a reasonable bite with heat at the finish.  There was very little time to think about it as I stood.  I could feel as least 2 dozen sets of eye focused on the back of my head belonging to folks waiting their turn. Now , what to purchase? The choices were tradition sour mash, apple pie, cherry and strawberry.  NC laws allowed 1 purchase, per person, per year; So I chose cherry and strawberry to take home! The check out line was a slow going affair but I did enjoy the random conversations with strangers. 

Once at home, where I could concentrate; a bit more tasting commenced.  I already knew from the tasting earlier in the evening that the offering was not at all like some of the questionable moonshines I had tried over the years.  Of those, there was only one that came close to what I had just experienced earlier in the evening and it was from "a name not to be spoken".  Who knows maybe it was one in the same? There were others over the years too.  Some were definitely Sandra Lee and semi-homemade versions. I am sure they were made from Karo syrup mixed with purchased grain alcohol or kerosene--not sure which; and dowsed with sandy cheap cinnamon. Then there were others that were a watered down version of the same.  

Now moving on to the Call recipe. Keep in mind I don't have a clue on what to look for but this is how it went with the cherry moonshine.

The smell: Yes, it was a slight mash alcohol as expected--but there was more. There was a slight corn aroma.  The aroma you get when you pop a fresh milky kernel. And I could not get away from the homemade brittle candy smell.  That smell you get right as you take the homemade brittle off the heat and hit it with a quality vanilla extract and butter.  The sweetness, vanilla and alcohol scent rises in the steam. Yes, that is it.

The taste: Small sips.  Thank goodness not too sweet; light caramel or butterscotch.  Maybe that's the brittle I was smelling; with slight corn but not too "mashy".  A nice smooth finish with some heat, but not too harsh.

This is something i could definitely sip on. Straight or on the rocks.  As or me it would be a fall/winter choice....rr maybe spring....or summer choice.  I will make sure to have some on hand for visitors. It might also be wise to keep a stash for medicinal purposes.  That's it!....medicinal purposes.  With a possible long hard winter upon us, this would fit the bill. 

The packaging is thoughtful.  A modified quart canning jar with flat opposing indented sides, a perfect grip for holding and pouring.  The black label is trimmed in silver the finger nail moon with double lightening bolts and boasted a playful likeness of Clay Call; the original craftsman of this recipe.

The Call Family have a lovely product.  It's exciting to see a company move to reality from their dreams which have been supported by a lot of hard work.  You can certainly sense the quality. I do my best to source and buy from local craftsmen and craftswomen, whether it is cheese, wine, baked goods, produce and now moonshine.  I hope you do too.

Happiness and Health,














Leah


Comments