River Tubing the Yadkin: Tips and tricks for noobs. Seasoned floaters don't need no stinking tips.

by:  Jason Bowen


I'm a grown, 36 year old man.  I've done some pretty adventurous things in my life but up until recently, never river tubing.  I'd seen it done but it wasn't until I moved to Wilkes that I discovered it really is a County past time.  I'm serious.  Everyone in this county has floated or floats regularly on the Yadkin.  It's cheap, fun and if well planned out, it's just a great way to spend a Saturday during the summer.  Behold!  I present you five essential tips if you're a noob and have no idea what you're doing.




SUPER AWESOME NOOB TIPS


Tip #1:  Get water shoes.  Going barefoot is just dangerous and having a simple pair of water shoes on will protect you from anything unforeseen in the water like a possible broken bottle or rusty can.  I didn't see any of these on the Yadkin but it's better to be safe than sorry.  One good cut of the foot can end the day for an entire group of people who just want to have fun.  


Tip#2:  Slow your roll!  If you do happen to take alcoholic beverages on the trip, just remember. You're going to be floating for multiple hours to reach your destination.  Don't go full river beer noob by drinking too much too early.  I did and I got the beer-ups.  Hiccups + tubing = no fun.  It's a simple equation.  Side note:  Don't be a littering asshole.  All your bottles and cans should end up at your end destination.  


Thank you kayakers!


Tip#3:  Go with kayakers!  This is the second best tip I'm going to give you on this little read you've found here.  When you're floating down the river, whether tied together or individually, the current is going to take you into places you'd rather not go.  There will be down trees, rocks, high grass and dead zones that can cause possible injury or even puncture your tubes.  In these situations a kayaker is absolutely your best friend.  They can pull you clear of obstacles and guide you down the river to a much more enjoyable experience.  Be sure to be kind and thankful to your kayaker guides.

Tip#4:  SPF 30 might not cut it!  If you're like me and your skin is the color of alabaster, lower SPF simply wont cut it; especially for your lower legs and ankles.  When you're laying in your tube enjoying the wonderful day out on the river, more than likely your ankles will be submerged in the water the majority of the time.  No matter how water resistant a sunscreen or sunblock is, it's not that resistant!.  It's going to wash off very quickly.  Even with reapplying multiple times on the trip, that lower SPF is basically for shit.  I can testify to this because my lower legs and my ankles got terribly burned on my first trip.  It wasn't until later that night when I got home that the sun poisoning kicked in.  It's been three weeks since my trip and my ankles are just now returning to normal.  Please!  Please upon all that is Holy go with a higher SPF sunblock and if you're pale, don't even remove your shirt.  You're a pale person out of habit.  It isn't like this one day out on the river is going to bronze you up like a Greek God.  Be pale and sunburnless.  It's just who you are!

Tip#5:  Dry boxes:  On my first trip I didn't take my phone.  Because honestly I didn't know how on Earth I'd make it through the day without destroying my phone or by losing it in the water.  This was one of the smarter moves I made on the trip.  I didn't have a dry box.  A dry box is just that.  A box that keeps everything in it dry.  Put all your valuables in the box, tie it to your kayak or tube and kick back.  Read up on reviews to make sure you purchase one that you have complete faith in.  Even better, before you take a trip out for the first time test it at home in your sink or bathtub using some wadded up toilet paper as your test subject.  If it comes out dry, you're probably going to be o.k.

Not really a tip but just a heads up.  If you're looking to go to Wal-Mart to pick up a tube to float down the Yadkin, you're out of luck.  They're sold out here in Wilkesboro.  Panic not!  You can purchase tubes online and have them shipped to your home with very little impact to your bank account.  

Comments