Editorial: I'm Paleo and I know it.

by:  Jason Bowen

Let me cut right to the chase.  I'm a 35 year old man and I'm fat.  I'm out of shape and I feel my youthfulness being drained away like a slow drip from a cars' oil pan.  You see, there was an attempt by yours truly to play basketball this last weekend.  This chubby, fat body of mine instantly began to moan and groan.  My left knee started to burn like someone had placed a cattle brand upon it.  And my lower back tightened up to the point where I swear it felt like it was soon to snap in half.  My body felt utterly stuck in mud.  My mind knew where to go, how to guard, how to shoot, how to jump but the logistics of the sport were not gentle with me.  The sport was not within my physical means. 

There was once a time when I could step onto a basketball court confident that my body would do as I commanded.  As of Saturday, for the first time in my life, I felt old and obsolete.  What I wanted to do was no longer possible.  The fog of disillusion wafted away from the battlefield of reality and either I get in shape and get healthy or I leave behind all hope of being young again.

Just by coincidence, a friend had been discussing how he'd been able to get healthy, lean up and increase his overall energy levels by following the paleo diet.  When asked the diet, he spoke of how he only eats grass fed meats, veggies, fruits and nuts.  He sweetened the pot by saying that butter and healthy fats were also on the menu.  I was instantly intrigued.  The only caveat; no grains, no refined sugars, no beans and a very large reduction of dairy.  

Now, I know what you're saying.  The Paleo diet sounds a lot like Adkins.  And in many ways it is.  It's high on protein and low on carbohydrates but it differentiates itself by being a diet based on the diet of primal man.  If the cave man ate it, you can eat it.  There is obviously much more to this diet and many things I've yet to learn. But for the first time in years I feel very excited and motivated to regain my former glory. (Like I had a lot of former glory!)

So moving forward, this is what you can expect from the blog regarding this post.  I'm going to chronicle my experiences and let each of you know of my failures and my successes.  Like I stated before, it's now or never for me.  It's time to put up or shut up.  Now, where can I find grass fed beef and meats in Wilkes County?  Anyone know?

You can learn more about the Paleo diet by going to this cool website.


Day 1:  

  •   Went Paleo food shopping.  I can haz all the meatz!? 
  •   Almonds are expensive.  
  •   Potatoes are not Paleo. 
  •   Nothing like the smell of fried eggs and steak in the morning!  
  •   Toilet paper usage has reduced dramatically.  

I've technically been at this new diet for almost two days.  So far, the most interesting change I've felt has been that my blood sugar has stayed very level.  As I've got hungry and started craving a snack, I haven't got the jitters like I typically do.  My breathing feels less labored and I certainly feel more alert.  Am I experiencing the placebo affect of my new diet.  Maybe.  Do I care.  No.  



Day 3:  

Day three.  What is there to say about day three?  I learned today that a large granny smith apple is really two meals.  Also that same apple will cut your gums if you're not careful.  Note to self:  Cut up the apple before I bring it to work.  

Today has been a great day concerning the new lifestyle change.  That's what I'm calling it now.  It's just more rewarding and positive to express that you're trying to change your lifestyle rather than saying that you're doing some stupid diet.  

Today I began researching Legumes.  Most sources online have stated that with the paleo diet, it's critical that you avoid beans.  So when I was getting ready to scarf down a nice little serving of green beans, I was stopped in my tracks.  After some fine scholarly research it was concluded that it's generally accepted that green beans can be consumed.  I love green beans.  


Week 2:  10/13/2014

It's Monday and the weekend is now behind me.  Over the weekend, I traveled to Lenoir to hang with friends and to participate in one of our almost annual lan parties.  We actually managed to keep the food offerings fairly healthy outside of the cookies and the home made pizza's.  I had to loosen the rules this weekend and yeah, I ate maybe two more slices of pizza than I originally intended.  And yes I was obnoxious a little when I came to what I could eat and couldn't eat and even managed to be made fun of just a little.  It was all in good fun.  I did manage to finish up the weekend on a strong note by preparing some fried chicken drumsticks.  No breading, no sugar filled bbq sauce.  Just slightly seasoned drumsticks. 

I'd also like to report that since I've started the paleo diet, I've been sleeping incredibly well.  The type of sleep I've been experiencing has been the deepest sleep of my entire life.  And when you're sleeping well, everything else just tends to improve.  Your memory, your attitude, your focus; they all become sharper.  

It's also come to my attention that my supervisor at work is now starting his paleo journey.  I'm hoping he will be enjoying the change as much as I have.  Again, thanks Chad for bringing this lifestyle change to my attention.  

Week 2:   10/15/2014

I'm flying guys.  This diet aka lifestyle change is amazing.  I have so much more energy, I'm so alert and I feel like my body is humming.  Today I've ate a veggie salad of diced tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, broccoli and banana peppers.  They had a nice coating of olive oil and red wine vinegar.  I had some chicken this morning for breakfast and I've had a few pieces of sliced turkey.  The meats aren't necessarily grass fed or free roaming but I've been sticking closely to the diet.  My body feels alive for the first time in years.  No breads, no refined sugars.  Amazing.

Week 2:  10/16/2014

Today was an amazing food day.  Last night I prepared some pico de gallo so I had something to cover my pan seared steak with.  I prepared the pico with diced tomatoes, diced white onion, diced serrano pepper, and unfortunately.....dried cilantro.  Horrible!  Never use dried cilantro for anything.  You don't get the flavor out of it like you do the fresh.  This seems like it would be common sense to me but...but....I couldn't find the fresh at Food Lion when I needed it.  That problem was rectified today when I bought a batch from Lowe's Food.  I'm going to use some of it to repair my pico and then I'm going to freeze the rest for the winter months.  Dried cilantro....what a worthless product.  As of today, I'm down 9lbs since I started my lifestyle change.  And I'm feeling great.  

Week 2:  10/19/2014



I'm kinda proud of my first attempt at pan frying a salmon filet.  This is actually 1/3 of the chunk I purchased at the local butcher just up the road.  If you're from North Wilkesboro, you should check them out.  They're located up 2nd St Hill on the left.  It's a small unassuming location and I don't even know the meat shop has a name.  So for now, we're calling it the fresh meat shop.  

This was Canadian or North Atlantic salmon.  It did come de-boned.  So, how did it taste for my first attempt.  It was good, but I could have cooked it better.  However, for my first salmon filet cook, it was a marvelous success.  I did learn a few things however.  First, your salmon needs to be more room temperature than refrigerator cold before the cook.  My pan heat and oil seemed to just the right medium to medium high heat that I needed.  But after inspection, It was slightly too pink in the middle.  For future attempts I will season and leave covered for about 20 to 30 minutes before proceeding.  


Week 3:  10/22/2014

I survived yesterday.  As days goes, yesterday was my largest challenge yet.  Eliminating bad carbs, breads, refined sugars can be a trial by fire.  For years, meal after meal would consist of some bread.  Hamburgers, hotdogs, pasta and even my salads would get the crouton treatment.  We've been fed a massive lie.  As I drive around town, I see the never ending series of fast food traps that are calling to you like a siren to a lost ship.  Except I'm not lost now.  I hear their song.  It's a beautiful song but now I know death proceeds it.  

I'm dropping weight.  I think I'm some where around 13lbs down but uncertain.  Truth be told, even the scale has little power of me.  If my weight never changes, my energy already has.  Can't imagine going back.   

 
Week 4:  

10/29/2014  

I'm officially down 18lbs.  I started at 259 and my last weigh in was at 241.  It's been a great 3 weeks and I've not felt better physically in years.  My stomach seems to also be shrinking because I'll eat something that would have been an after thought in the past.  Now it's like "wow, I feel like I'm a pig." 

I'm still trying to get my girlfriend to join on the lifestyle change.  Thus far she's resistant because she really really loves popcorn and pastas.  I might see if I can come up with recipes for no flour based pasta's but popcorn is popcorn.  She cooked up some rice last night and it damn near killed me.  The smell was intoxicating.  Rice....intoxicating.  Never thought I'd say that.  

 Week 5:  

11/04/2014  

Found out today that I love pumpkin seeds.  Very high in omega 3 fatty acids, magnesium, selenium, and potassium just to name a few.  Some studies indicate that pumpkin seeds act as an anti-inflammatory agent on par with Ibuprofen.  Kinda interesting don't you think.  Too many times we seek out unnatural solutions to our problems when natural remedies might just do the job.   

Week 7: 

11/18/2014

I messed up this last Sunday.  I cheated on my food.  It was my first non authorized cheat.  Meaning it was a cheat that occurred on a day that wasn't meant for a cheat.  In truth I don't know why I did it but I did and I was very disappointed in myself.  And it wasn't really because the diet has been hard or causing me to break because that's not the case.  In actuality, the diet is fueling me, making me more confident and taller in stature.  In other words, eating paleo makes you feel like a man.  

The food I cheated with was taco bell and pizza in the same day.  Grrrr..............













Comments